Champaign Defective Drugs & Devices Attorneys
If you have recently taken or used a defective drug or medical device, you need an attorney. Knowing who to hold liable for your injuries can be both difficult and frightening when your opponents are large corporate or public entities. There are potentially millions of other people affected by the same defective drug or device, and making your voice heard can ensure that this number continues to go down.
The Champaign defective drug and medical device lawyers at Spiros Law, P.C. have made it their mission to provide excellent legal representation to those who have been taken advantage of by pharmaceutical companies. Since 2005, we have made it our mission to give a voice to those who have been wronged through the use of defective medical equipment. We firmly believe that predatory pharmaceutical practices deserve to be brought to justice. For over a decade we have operated out of Illinois and helped thousands of clients nationwide. If you or someone you know have suffered injuries due to a prescription of a defective drug or medical device, you need an experienced Champaign attorney fighting for you. Call us today at (217) 328-2828 for a free consultation to walk through your legal options.
Do I Need a Defective Drug & Medical Devices Attorney?
If a doctor recently prescribed a defective drug or medical device to you, then you need to hire a defective drug and medical device attorney. You may be entitled to significant financial compensation for your pain and suffering at the hands of negligent pharmaceutical companies.
Going up against large corporations can be overwhelming; they have a far-reaching influence and millions of dollars at their disposal. Thankfully a law firm can pursue a lawsuit against the company and help you with the paperwork, deadlines, and stress. Even if your case is not a nationwide problem, you may still be entitled to significant financial compensation for your pain and suffering. The negligence of a medical corporation shouldn’t control your life.
Why Should I Choose Spiros Law, P.C. to Represent my Claim?
You deserve an attorney who you can trust. With over a decade of experience and millions won in compensation for our deserving clients, we are a firm known for getting results. Here is a list taken from the most recent cases we’ve won for our clients:
- $3,300,000 to the family of a woman who died due to medical negligence ten days into her hospital admittance.
- $1,400,000 to a woman who was improperly injected with two doses of Vistaril, causing severe pain and suffering.
- $825,000 to the family of a 22-month old infant in the NICU who died after they removed a mechanical ventilation device.
- $700,000 to a woman who had to undergo three subsequent surgeries for a fractured ankle after the pain persisted after the first surgery due to a staph infection caused by the medical negligence of the surgeon.
Our mission is to fight for the rights of those who have wronged by medical negligence and need an experienced attorney to make sure that they get the compensation they deserve. Call Spiros Law, P.C. if you or someone you know has been hurt by a defective drug or medical device. Our phone number is (217) 328-2828 and we offer free initial consultations for all prospective clients.
Defective Drug & Device Claims We Handle
Whenever a company pushes a drug that they know is defective, potentially millions of people can suffer. They are breaking the trust between medical professional and patient. There is a growing list of defective drugs and devices that are in the market today being prescribed. Here are some of the more common drugs that we have experience with:
- Onglyza – Originally made to control blood sugar levels in those affected with diabetes, this drug has been linked to elevated risks of pancreatic cancer, heart failure, and death.
- Pradaxa – An anticoagulant that is used to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots, this drug has been linked to uncontrollable internal bleeding, liver failure, and death.
- Eliquis – Originally made to prevent DVT blood clots after knee or hip replacement surgery, Eliquis can lead to uncontrollable internal bleeding and death.
- Invokana – Meant to help control the blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, Invokana can cause difficulty breathing, intense nausea, abdominal pain, and sleeplessness.
- Risperdal – Mainly used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, Risperdal is an antipsychotic that can cause unexpected and extreme hormonal imbalances.
- Lipitor – Advertised as a cholesterol reducing medication, it can lead to an overproduction of blood sugar and can cause some patients to develop type 2 diabetes.
- Fosamax – Developed to treat and prevent future bone loss or osteoporosis, this drug can also weaken femurs leading to atypical and more painful fractures.
- Benicar – A blood vessel relaxer, Benicar was made to lower blood pressure but has also been linked to serious intestinal problems and chronic diarrhea.
- Accutane – An intense acne medication, Accutane has also been known to cause inflammatory bowel disease.
- Actos – A diabetes medication that controls one’s blood sugar levels, people who have taken Actos have been known to be diagnosed with bladder cancer.
- Victoza – Used to combat adult-onset diabetes, Victoza has also been linked to increasing the risk of pancreatic and thyroid cancers.
- Zofran – Originally created to combat the nausea symptoms brought on by chemotherapy or morning sickness, there are also links to it causing birth defects and complications.
- Vioxx – Marketed as a treatment for pain from menstruation to arthritis, Vioxx has proven links to an increased risk of heart attacks and has killed over 60,000 people.
- Yaz – Developed as a contraceptive and moderate acne treatment, Yaz increases the risk of dangerous blood clots forming.
- Talc – A mineral that is used to prevent caking in the production of pills and tablets, there have been links to increases in ovarian cancer.
- Januvia – A drug made to bring down the levels of blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes, Januvia has also been linked to increased risks of pancreatic cancer.
- Ambilify – Helping maintain brain chemical levels in the brain, Ambilify has also been linked to increases in erratic and compulsive behavior.
- Taxotere – A cancer medication developed to combat the growth and spread of harmful cells, the drug has known to cause permanent hair loss or alopecia.
This list of defective medications still in rotation in the market unfortunately grows every year. We have seen the devastating effects these drugs have on family firsthand. As well as these defective drugs, there is an increasing number of medical devices that we have combated in our mass tort lawsuits.
- Hernia Mesh – Used to patch up a weakness or hole in the abdominal wall, complications from these devices can cause infection and obstruction of organs and bowels.
- IVC Filters – Implanted just below the kidneys, an IVC filter captures potentially dangerous blood clots but can also cause cuts and damage to other internal organs.
- DePuy Hip – Developed as a total hip replacement, the DePuy hip replacement can lead to dislocated joints, swelling, and intense pain when walking.
- Stryker Hip – A partial hip replacement of the upper thigh bones, this device has been known to cause tissue and bone death, small tumors, and extreme pain.
- Biomet Hip – Developed to replace be a partial parts of the hip, many patients reported severe and extremely painful injuries requiring revisional surgery.
- Mirena IUD – A contraceptive that works by releasing hormones for up to 5 years, this device has been known to cause uterus perforation, and unexpected movement.
- Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft – A device designed to treat degenerative disc disease and spinal bone loss, it can cause sterility, chronic pain, and uncontrolled bone growth.
- Morcellator – A surgical instrument that is used to remove harmful abdominal tissue, this device can activate and spread previously undetected cancers.
- Smith and Nephew Hip Liner – A particular coating in various hip replacements, these implants have been known to cause bone and tissue death.
- Stryker Knee Implant – A total knee replacement, this implant can cause infection, dislocation, or develop into a permanent disability.
If you have suffered from any of these known defective drugs and devices or from any that aren’t mentioned you need to seek legal representation. Spiros Law, P.C. also takes on cases regarding the pesticide Syngenta.
What is a Mass Tort?
Whenever a defective drug or medical device is being passed around harming thousands of people, many of those people will want to pursue justice against the one company doing the damage. They pursue legal action against the corporation through what is called a mass tort. A law firm will reach out to numerous people harmed by the same drug or plaintiffs so that they can all take on the corporation together. Oftentimes law firms will utilize massive media outlets such as cable advertisements or social media to reach as many people as possible.
Statistics in Champaign Defective Drugs & Medical Devices
There are so many drug and medical recalls that don’t get national news but still harm thousands of Americans. On the FDA’s website, there is an active list of currently recalled drugs. As of September of 2017, over 50 drugs were recalled that year alone. Some were relatively minor recalls, such as an anti-itch lotion causing minor allergic reactions. Others include a Diocto stool softener syrup, infected with a contagious bacteria called B. Cepacia. These types of recalls need to be more common knowledge. However, only big budget drugs or the medications with the most widespread use garner attention. This is to be expected, but it can lull people into a false sense of security that recalls don’t affect them unless they are newsworthy. The mission of our firm is to fight against drugs for the pain and suffering they cause, not the attention they create.
Contact a Defective Drug & Devices Attorney Today
When giant medical corporations release defective drugs and medical devices, many millions of people can be affected. If you or someone you know has had complications from a prescribed drug or device then you need to call an attorney. Spiros Law, P.C. is prepared to make you our complete priority and we will not rest until you receive the justice and fair compensation for your pain and suffering that you deserve. Call us at (217) 328-2828 for a free consultation to discuss your legal options with an experienced professional.