Illinois Catastrophic Injury Lawyers
The Illinois injury attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. provide skilled and compassionate legal representation to those who’ve suffered catastrophic injuries in accidents in Champaign, Kankakee, and Danville. We fight for fair compensation for victims and their families. We know the wide-ranging impact a catastrophic injury could have on your health, relationships, and livelihood, which is why we fight so hard to get the full compensation you need and deserve.
While some accidents result in only minor injuries that can be easily treated and require only a short amount of recovery or rehabilitation, others can be much more severe. A catastrophic injury will typically have a lasting or permanent impact on your life. This could include permanent disability, ongoing medical treatment, and potentially a lifetime of care. You might find yourself unable to return to your job or work at all, placing significant financial strain on you and those who depend on you.
Did you or a loved one suffer a catastrophic injury in an accident caused by someone else’s reckless, careless, or otherwise negligent actions? If so, you shouldn’t have to bear the burden of your injuries, costly medical treatment, lost wages and future earnings, and other unexpected losses. Instead, with the help of an experienced injury attorney, you could hold the at-fault party accountable for their actions and recover the money you need to live your life with the dignity that you deserve.
It’s crucial to have someone on your side during this difficult time. Turn to the Illinois catastrophic injury attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. for help. We are available 24/7 to take your call and will be ready to meet with you at the hospital, at your home, or wherever is most convenient for you. Call us at (815) 929-9292 or reach out to us online for a free and confidential consultation.
What Are Some Examples of Catastrophic Injuries?
A catastrophic injury could potentially change the victim’s life forever. It could deprive them of the ability to enjoy life as they once did, support themselves and those they love, and could have other lasting effects. Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Eye injuries
- Amputation (loss of limbs)
- Stroke or heart attack
- Cerebral palsy
- Organ failure
- Severe burns
- Facial scarring
- Fatal injuries
In many instances, an accident that results in a catastrophic injury is actually no “accident” at all. Instead, people’s lives may be forever altered due to the negligence of another person or party. The victim deserves answers, compensation, and justice when this happens, and an experienced injury attorney could help them get it.
Who Might Be At Fault for a Catastrophic Injury?
Depending on the circumstances of your case, an individual, business, government entity, or another party could be at fault for the harm you’ve suffered. Some potentially liable parties could include:
- Negligent motorists
- Truck drivers, trucking companies, third-party maintenance or loading companies, or others
- Private or commercial property owners in premises liability claims
- Doctors, surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, pharmacists, and medical facilities in medical malpractice or birth injury claims
- Pharmaceutical companies in defective drug cases
- Businesses along the supply chain for defective product claims
- Municipal entities for defective road or property claims
The above list is not comprehensive, and any negligent person or party could potentially be held accountable if they cause someone else harm. Victims of catastrophic injuries must be compensated fairly for their current and future losses. Fortunately, an experienced injury lawyer could potentially help you if you or someone close to you has suffered a catastrophic injury.
Compensation for Catastrophic Injuries
Because catastrophic injuries can impact nearly every facet of the victim’s life and could impact the lives of those close to them, those who’ve been hurt could be owed significant compensation from the at-fault party. If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury, you could be entitled to seek compensation for:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Home modifications and ongoing care
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings (if disabled)
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish
Seeking compensation for a catastrophic injury is not always straightforward. The at-fault party might not accept responsibility for the harm you’ve suffered, or their insurance provider might try to deny or diminish your claim to avoid paying what you’re owed. This is a common issue that injury victims encounter when looking for accountability and justice. Insurance companies are for-profit entities that are beholden to their shareholders. This means that they will look for any reason to limit the amount they have to pay, even for a catastrophic injury.
An experienced lawyer who has handled catastrophic injury claims will know the tactics the insurance companies and other entities will use to avoid responsibility. Your lawyer could assist you by:
- Providing a free consultation to discuss the details of your case
- Investigating the accident, securing vital evidence, and identifying any responsible parties
- Preparing a convincing case on your behalf and demanding a fair settlement for the harm you’ve suffered
- Filing a lawsuit and fighting for damages in court if the other side refuses to offer a settlement that takes into account your current and future losses
If you’ve been hurt, don’t despair. It is possible to get justice. Choosing the right attorney to represent you is crucial, though, so make sure to select a legal team with the right skills, experience, and resources to help you.
How Do I Choose a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer?
Hiring an injury lawyer to represent you after a catastrophic injury might seem daunting at first, but there are a few things that can make your decision easier. In general, it is wise to choose an attorney who:
- Has specific experience handling catastrophic injury cases. Remember that not all lawyers focus on injury cases, and not all lawyers have the experience taking on insurance companies, large entities like pharmaceutical companies, and more. Choose a lawyer who has successfully handled your type of case in the past, and you can rest easier knowing you’re in good hands.
- Has a track record of successful verdicts and settlements. You’ll want to know that not only has your lawyer handled these types of cases but that they’ve been able to secure compensation for their clients in the past through settlements and/or verdicts. Ask your potential lawyer to tell you about their successes in the past.
- Has the right resources to handle your case. Sometimes taking on larger entities for catastrophic injuries can be challenging and might require assistance from accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, financial experts, and more. Talk to your lawyer about what it will take to win your case.
- Has the time to dedicate to your case. You’ll want to hire a lawyer who cares about your case and treats you like a person, not just a case number. With so much on the line, you’ll want to know that your lawyer is fully committed to fighting for you.
Once you’ve determined that you’ve found the right attorney, you can hire them and let them do the legal legwork while you focus on recovering and spending time with those you love.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Claim in Illinois?
Under Illinois law, you have two years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person who harmed you. While this might seem like a long time, it actually is a rather short window to take legal action.
You’ll want to hire a lawyer right away after a severe injury accident because there is plenty of work to do as soon as possible. Vital evidence needs to be secured immediately before being lost, destroyed, or altered. Your lawyer will also have to build a case on your behalf and will work to negotiate a settlement before a lawsuit becomes necessary.
All of this can take a significant amount of time, so be sure to take action right away to give your lawyer enough time to handle your case the correct way.
Why Choose Spiros Law, P.C.?
Since 2005, the injury attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. have fought for the rights of those who’ve been injured in Illinois. We have become the go-to firm for so many people who’ve been injured or lost loved ones in catastrophic injury accidents, and we’re ready to put our skills and experience to work for you.
When someone else’s negligence causes you harm, you have the right to demand compensation from them. We know what it takes to get justice for you, so call us today for a free consultation. When you hire us, you won’t have to worry about what it will cost to handle your case. We work on a contingency fee basis so that you won’t pay out of pocket for our representation. Instead, we’ll only collect a fee when we win your case.
There’s nothing to lose and everything to gain by calling us to discuss your catastrophic injury case. Call us at (815) 929-9292, chat with us live, or fill out a contact form now.