CHARLESTON, IL NURSING HOME ABUSE LAWYERS
Fighting For Victims Of Elder Abuse & Neglect Since 1996
Our senior citizens deserve to be treated with kindness, dignity, and respect. Nursing homes are supposed to provide a safe haven for our aging parents and elderly relatives, providing them with healthcare management and onsite nurses and doctors to provide needed attention and care. Despite strict state and federal guidelines that nursing home facilities are required to follow, caregivers and administrative staff commit egregious wrongs. Each year, thousands of senior citizens suffer abuse, neglect, and exploitation in nursing homes and elder care facilities. At Spiros Law, P.C., we believe in standing up for victims of abuse. Someone needs to fight on behalf of seniors who have suffered harm by the very people entrusted with their care. With over 100 years of combined knowledge and experience and the resources to face off against any opponent, our Charleston, IL nursing home abuse attorneys pursue real results that change our clients’ lives and help prevent others from suffering similar fates.
Call (217) 516-3451 today for caring and knowledgeable insight regarding your nursing home abuse case. Your consultation is free and strictly confidential.
Types Of Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect
Abuse, which includes intentional misconduct, and negligence, which includes a failure to provide proper care, can both cause serious harm or even the wrongful death of elderly patients and residents of nursing homes, residential care communities, and elder care centers. Serving Central and Southern Illinois for over 25 years, our firm takes on cases involving:
- Bedsores (pressure ulcers)
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Psychological/emotional abuse
- Financial exploitation and fraud
- Medication errors
- Unnecessary restraints
- Negligent supervision
- Slip and fall accidents
What To Do If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse
If your loved one lives in a nursing home and you suspect abuse or neglect, there are steps you should take immediately to end the mistreatment:
- Take photos. Visible signs of injury such as bruises, welts, cuts, burns, and evidence of restraints may be present. Hints at neglect can include bedsores and dirty living conditions.
- Report your suspicions to an administrator. Nursing home officials should be notified, so they can take steps to protect the abused person. Make sure to document your complaint by following up with written letter or an email.
- Inform the proper authorities. Concerned family members can contact the Illinois Adult Protective Services or the Missouri Department of Health & Senior Services. Law enforcement and a state’s long-term care ombudsman program also examine elder abuse cases.
- Consider contacting a lawyer. An experienced nursing home abuse attorney can preserve evidence and help take steps to stop the abuse and hold the abuser responsible.
Families do not have to prove that abuse is occurring. Once a complaint is made to authorities, an investigation will take place to assess the situation. Additionally, many states have laws that shield those who report the abuse from liability if no abuse is taking place. Safety advocacy groups encourage family members to voice their concerns about elder abuse because suspicions are correct all too often. If your loved one has been mistreated at a nursing home, we may be able to help. Contact the legal team at Tapella & Eberspacher Law to learn more at (217) 516-3451.
Helping Seniors Harmed At Central & Southern Illinois Nursing Homes
If you believe someone has suffered from neglect or abuse in a nursing home, do not wait to report the incident and seek legal counsel. Our Charleston, IL nursing home abuse lawyers can investigate to determine if state and federal standards of care are being met, and help you protect your family and loved ones from harm. We offer a free consultation and evaluation. If we take your case, there are no attorney fees unless you receive compensation.