A fire in an apartment in Park Forest on July 10th lead to the death of an elderly mother and her son.
A fire broke out in the apartment in the 100 block of Ash Street in a building that holds six units all together. Firefighters came to scene at approximately 2 p.m. and were able to put out the blaze quickly. But it was a fire that produced heavy smoke.
The body of Julia Markeo, 78, was found in the living room while the body of her son, Darrell Nelson, 59, was found in a bedroom. A small dog was also found still alive in the apartment and given to a neighbor. Officials believe that that smoke inhalation was the cause of death for both members of the family. Smoke detectors were found in the apartment but were not working.
A fire can move through a home quickly, destroying everything in its wake. If you or a loved one knows someone who has been in a fire with a non-working smoke detectors, call Spiros Law, P.C. at (815) 929-9292 to explore their legal rights. Visit the website at www.spiroslaw.com.
Tags: Augerville, Bloomington, Bourbonnais, Champaign, Charleston, Chebanese, Cissna Park, Clifton, Danville, Decatur, Gilman, Grant Park, Kankakee, Milford, Mira, Momence, Naperville, Otto, Peoria, Sammons-Point, Savoy, Sheldon, Springfield, St. Anne, Thomasboro, Urbana, Watseka, Wilmington