Over $100 Million Recovered for our clients
in the last 10 years
Free Consultation

Discovery of Mold Leads to Inspection and Testing

Mold discovered at a recreation center in St. Charles prompts the need for investigation.

At the beginning of August, a painter in the Norris Recreation Center on Dunham Road in St. Charles noticed mold on the wall of a racquetball court. The building was in the middle of a two-week closure in order to perform routine maintenance. All workers, three painters, in the building at the time were sent home.

The recreation center is located next door to St. Charles East High School which was closed for a year in 2001 when mold was discovered in the building. The building was re-opened in 2002 after a $30 million repair and remodeling project. Previous claims from that incident have been settled. The Norris Recreation Center is owned but not operated by the school district.

According to the Center for Disease Control, mold affects people by causing stuffiness in the nose, skin irritation and wheezing. Those people who are allergic to mold have more intense symptoms that lead to fever and shortness of breath. If a person has a pre-existing lung condition, it can lead to a mold infection in the lungs.

When a premise is not in good condition, it can lead to sickness in the people who live and/or work there. If you or a loved one knows some who has been ill because of poor conditions in a building, call Spiros Law, P.C. at (815) 929-9292 to explore your legal options.