Champaign Dog Bite Lawyers
Did a dog in Champaign bite you or a family member? Regardless of whether the dog was owned by a neighbor, friend, family member, or stranger, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. The Champaign dog bite attorneys of Spiros Law, P.C. have extensive experience with dog bite claims, and we’re ready to help you.
Dogs and other pets can provide you with comfort and companionship, but they can also be a threat. When an animal is inherently aggressive or is surprised, they may lash out and bite you, leaving you with lasting injuries. Dog bites and other animal attacks aren’t just minor injuries that will heal quickly—they can be deep, painful injuries that can lead to infections and permanent disfigurement.
At Spiros Law, P.C., we understand how serious animal bites can be, and we’re here to help you through your injury. As one of central Illinois’ leading personal injury firms, we serve our clients with the compassion and knowledge they need. When you’re facing the medical bills and painful recovery that can come from an animal bite, we can help you pursue justice and hold the animal’s owner and keeper accountable. If you’ve been injured by a dog or other animal, contact us today at (217) 328-2828.
Why Do I Need A Lawyer?
Dog bite claims require careful navigation of complex insurance policies, and in some cases, navigation of complex relationships. A dog bite lawyer knows how to work with insurers, neighbors, and commercial companies who may be responsible for an animal.
A lawyer can help your dog bite claim by:
- Investigating the incident and collecting relevant evidence, such as attack context and prior history.
- Evaluating your injuries and determining compensation. An injury claim for an animal bite may include more than just the costs of treatment.
- Helping determine who is liable, including dog walkers, caretakers, and others.
- Working with neighbors who own the animal that bit you. Neighbors don’t want to cause trouble for each other, and when they’re bitten, they often don’t attempt to recover for their injuries. It’s important to note, however, that in many animal and dog bite cases, a neighbor’s homeowner’s insurance may cover compensation for your injuries.
- Working with insurers and negotiating for you. Insurance negotiations can be complicated, and insurers will usually try to pay you as little as possible; a lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you need.
- Handling any court actions or hearings. If an animal bite claim needs to go to court, a lawyer can handle the paperwork and advocate for you in the courtroom.
For an individual, it can be overwhelming to understand and manage the injury claim process, but a lawyer knows how to handle your claim and get you the compensation you need.
Why Choose Spiros Law, P.C.?
At Spiros Law, P.C., we understand the challenges and the stress of recovering compensation for injuries caused by animals. As one of the leading plaintiff firms in central Illinois, we know how to help our clients recover what they deserve for animal bites and attacks they have suffered. With years of experience representing those injured by dog and animal bites, we’ll fight for the compensation you need.
The experienced Champaign animal attack attorneys at Spiros Law, P.C. pride themselves on the attention and care they bring to every client. We’ll keep you informed during every step of the process, and we’ll tirelessly work to obtain the results you need. If a dog or another animal has injured you, we can help. Contact us today at (217) 328-2828.
Animal Bites Can Cause Lasting Injuries
In many cases, animal bites are serious injuries that can lead to long-term damage. When an animal bites you, it can lead to a risk of infection, deep scarring, disfigurement, and emotional injury. Animal bites can cause any of the following:
- Infections that can threaten your life: When an animal bites you, harmful bacteria, and viruses may get under your skin and enter your bloodstream. These can cause infections that threaten your long-term well-being and even your life.
- Nerve damage: It’s easy to forget that dogs and many others pets are hunters by nature. When a dog or another animal bites, their teeth can easily pierce the skin and lead to lasting nerve damage that causes numbness and loss of sensation.
- Pain and suffering: Animal bites may cause more than just physical injury. They can lead to lasting emotional harm and lingering problems such as depression, anxiety, and insomnia that can take a toll on your life.
- Disfigurement and permanent scars: Dogs and other animals may attack savagely. When they attack, they can easily cause grievous harm that cannot be repaired even with the best medicine.
If you’ve suffered any of the above injuries or any other severe injury due to an animal bite, you should contact an experienced animal bite attorney as soon as possible to discuss your rights and legal options.
Large Dog Breeds and Bites
There are several specific dog breeds are statistically behind a large percentage of serious bites in the country. While the size and power of the dog can make them dangerous, it is important to note that dog aggression has been firmly linked to owner abuse or neglect than to any specific breed. If the owner of a large and powerful dog encourages aggressive behavior, the animal is likely to bite and potentially hurt someone. Some dog breeds physically strong enough to inflict serious wounds include:
- Pit bull terriers, commonly called the pit bull
- German shepherds
- American bulldogs
- Doberman pinschers
- Labradors, commonly called the lab
- Chow chows
It is important to note that common areas, such as apartment complexes or neighborhood parks, have implemented breed restrictions. If an owner ignores the rules and brings in a dog of a restricted breed, a bite victim may be eligible to receive compensation.
What Types of Compensation May Be Available?
If you’ve been injured by a dog or another animal, you may be eligible to receive compensation for the damages. This includes:
- Medical bills: Treatment for a bite can be expensive and time-consuming. Compensation may include short-term repair of the injury and the costs of repairing long-term damage, such as scars and disfigurement.
- Lost wages and income: When you’re injured, it may be impossible to work. You may be out for a few days due to difficulty getting around, or you may be out much longer due to infections or traumatic injury. If you’ve lost wages because of your injuries, you may be able to recover.
- Property damage: Animal attacks can ruin your clothing, your jewelry, your electronic devices, and anything else on your person. If an animal attack damaged or destroyed your property, there might be compensation available.
- Pain and suffering: Animal bites can lead to lasting physical pain that can haunt a bite victim for years. Even after treatments, the pain may linger, reducing the quality of your life. Pain and suffering may also be lasting emotional damage that sticks around for the long-term. Fear, anxiety, insomnia, and many other consequences can arise after a bite.
If your quality of life has been affected by a dog or animal bite, a lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your injuries. Time is limited to file a claim, so don’t wait until it is too late to get the compensation you deserve.
Contact Experienced Champaign Animal Attack Lawyers
Dog and animal bites can leave you and your loved ones with long-term scars and pain. Infections, scarring, and lasting damage are all very real possibilities for animal bite victims. If a dog or another animal has bitten you, contact a Champaign injury lawyer from Spiros Law, P.C. to hold the animal’s owner and caretakers responsible.
Don’t wait to act on your claim. At Spiros Law, P.C., we have represented clients throughout Illinois with the skill, knowledge, and integrity we’ve become known for. We’ve helped our clients find the recovery they need after an animal bite; now let us help you.
Call (217) 328-2828 today or use our online contact options to schedule your free consultation.