Over $100 Million Recovered for our clients
in the last 10 years
Free Video Consultation

20 People Sickened with Carbon Monoxide during Thanksgiving Celebration

Thanksgiving meal preparations sickened 20 people at a North Side Chicago home when a grill was used inside the home. The result was seven people being sent to the hospital while remaining party attendees were treated on site.

Around approximately 10:35 p.m., five ambulances were called to the scene in the 4300 block of West Roscoe Street because of high carbon monoxide levels with accordance to an EMS Plan 1. Victims reported feeling lightheaded and having some nausea.  Levels of carbon monoxide rose when a grill was brought into the home during a Thanksgiving celebration.

Seven members of the party were sent to Our Lady of Resurrection Medical Center and West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park with minor injuries. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is the leading cause of accidental deaths in the home in the United States according to eMedicinehealth.com. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headaches, nausea and fatigue and is often mistaken for the flu.

When equipment is improperly used, the chemicals released can harm not only the operator but everyone in the area of a home. If you or a loved one knows someone who has been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, call Spiros Law, P.C. at (815) 929-9292 to find out your legal rights.