Fire Sweeps Over Building, Destroys Three Businesses
Fire gutted a 90,000 square foot building on Grinnell Road in Kankakee that was the home to three businesses. The strong winds of Friday, September 2, 2011 propelled the fire that caused explosions and fifty foot high flames. Smoke from the fire was seen ten miles away.
The fire started in the southern section of the building that was home to River Valley Recycling around 1:30 p.m. At times the sounds of muffled explosions were heard and were thought to be caged propane tanks used at the recycling plant. The tanks were apparently the cause of the high flames.
Kankakee Fire Chief Ron Young was told that no one remained in the building and no firefighters were hurt while containing the blaze. However, the building housed two other businesses – Tru –Cut Machinery and a tannery – that have lost equipment in the fire.
Not all workplace fires end injury free. If you or a loved one knows someone who has been injured in a workplace fire, call Spiros Law, P.C. at (815) 929-9292 to explore your legal rights. Visit the website at www.spiroslaw.com.