Eight High School Students Sent to Hospitals after Inhaling Tar Fumes

Percy Julian High School on the far South side of Chicago had students go to area hospitals after inhaling tar fumes on Friday, September 23. This led to a level 1 Hazmat and an EMS Plan 1 to be called to the high school.

 

Work crews were fixing the roof with hot tar when the fumes from the mixture infiltrated the ventilation system. Fire Media Affairs spokesman Richard Rosado stated that one student started coughing and that created a chain reaction.

 

Paramedics and firefighters were sent to the school with approximately six ambulance vehicles. Eight students were sent to hospitals in respiratory distress ranging from fair to serious condition. 

 

A chemical poisoning can cause long lasting health problems. Call Spiros Law, P.C. at (815) 929-9292 if you or a loved one has suffered chemical poisoning and you need to know your legal rights. Visit the website at www.spiroslaw.com.


Categories